Cleaning Concrete Driveway
Driveways, walkways, and other exterior surfaces are among the first things visitors see when they come to your home or business. A dirty and unsightly driveway will leave them with a bad first impression. Therefore, cleaning concrete driveway regularly is very important to keep it beautiful, tidy, and well-maintained.
Mud, dirt, grime, or oil stains can dirty the surface of your concrete driveway, and over time, it can deteriorate and become unattractive. While sweeping off dirt and dust from a driveway is easy, cleaning off grime and oil stains is not.
Luckily, you can call in a professional, reputable, and experienced pressure washing company, such as RPW ProWash, to help you get rid of grime and oil stains effectively, efficiently, and safely.
A driveway is an essential part of any residential or commercial building. It serves as a passage from a public way to the building’s entry points. A clean, tidy, well-maintained, and beautiful driveway brings a positive vibe and a welcoming atmosphere to your guests.
For these reasons, the driveway – whether residential or commercial – needs proper routine maintenance to keep it clean and presentable.
Keep in mind that driveways are exposed to natural elements all year round. Dirt and stains can make it dingy and unpresentable. As much as you put effort into making other parts of your house clean, you should do the same to your driveway.
Concrete driveways generally last about 25 to 30 years but can last even longer with good cleaning and maintenance regularly. But we understand that it can be difficult to know how to begin taking care of your driveway.
Do you want to learn more about driveway maintenance, the best driveway materials, and other options for low-maintenance driveways? Keep reading this article to know more about driveway maintenance, taking care of your driveway, and some driveway maintenance ideas as well!
Regularly Cleaning Your Driveway
One of the most important things you can do to keep your driveway in good shape is to clean it regularly. This is important to do, especially before you paint or seal your driveway.
First, you should clean your driveway to remove any stains or growth. For example, mold and mildew can often grow on the surface of your driveway and may cause discoloration to the concrete.
Another thing that may build up on your driveway is dirt, mud, and even decomposing leaves. Anything that gets on your car tires can be tracked onto your driveway and lead to a dirty residue. With regular cleaning, you will keep your driveway looking good as new.
Finally, driveways often get oil stains on the concrete. This can happen when oil leaks or spills out of your car. These kinds of stains are harder to remove, but it’s important to get rid of them before you seal your driveway.
Importance of Cleaning Concrete Driveway
- It improves your building’s curb appeal
- It prevents costly repairs in the future
- It increases your property value
- It delays the growth of weeds, thus requiring lesser maintenance
- It creates a positive mood
- It promotes safety and sanitation
- Businesswise, it attracts customers and visitors, increasing foot traffic in your business; thus, leading to more sales
Another way you can maintain your driveway is by resurfacing it. This is a type of maintenance that does not need to be done more than once or twice in the lifespan of your driveway, but it can make it look good as new.
Essentially, it allows you to fill in any cracks or missing pavement and apply a new layer of cement to the top of your driveway. When you resurface your driveway, it can prevent more damage from cracks in your driveway and will extend the life of your concrete. You are adding a protective layer to the top of your existing driveway.
While it takes more work than sealing your driveway, it’s a great way to maintain your driveway to keep it beautiful and in good condition.
Seal Your Driveway
Another great way you can maintain your driveway is by sealing it. Sealing coats are a way to increase the life expectancy of your pavement because it acts as a protective layer. This means your driveway will be protected from damage, from natural elements, and even will protect your driveway from staining.
Adding a sealing coat to your driveway is also beneficial as it’s much less expensive than resurfacing your driveway or replacing the concrete altogether. You can seal your driveway several times throughout the years and it’ll still save you money.
It’s also something that you can do on your own! While many types of maintenance to your concrete driveway should be done by professionals, you can do a seal coat yourself.
Cleaning concrete driveway regularly is essential, but it will be even more beneficial if done alongside other maintenance, such as sealing and resurfacing.
Different Types of Driveways
- Concrete Driveways –Concrete is the most common type of material used in driveways. First, concrete driveways are durable. It can withstand weight, pressure, and scratches. A concrete driveway is also versatile. It can complement any type of buildings from antique, rustic, to modern and contemporary. It is also more economical compared to other surface materials and is low-maintenance.
However, since concrete is light-colored, dirt, and stains can be very visible on them. It is also given that driveways are exposed to different dirt and stains like automobile-related leaks and spills, paint, and rust stains. The most common way to cleaning concrete driveway is by using ordinary dishwashing detergent diluted in water.
A pressure washer is used to spray the diluted detergent over the stain or dirt and later rinsed off thoroughly. Different cleaners like muriatic acid or household bleach may be used to get rid of tough stains. However, necessary precautions must be taken and personal protective equipment like goggles, face masks, and gloves used for safety.
- Asphalt Driveways –Another common choice as a material for driveway is asphalt. Its vibrant black appearance makes it more presentable and cleaner. Unlike the concrete counterpart, dirt and stains are not that visible on asphalt surfaces. Installation is not only easy, but it’s also even more affordable as compared to other surface materials.
However, regular maintenance should be done to keep it in good condition. An asphalt sealer can be used for additional protection. Cracks and holes should be patched up immediately to avoid further damage.
Also, when cleaning the asphalt driveway, we always use the right type of cleaner since some of them can cause damage to the surface.
- Brick Driveways –Though not as famous as concrete and asphalt as surface materials for driveways, many opt for brick driveways for their aesthetic value. It gives a classic appeal that may complement a classic-looking house. It is not just appealing, it can also be very unique. Installation of brick driveways should be done properly and with care. If not, it is prone to damage.
It’s better to sweep or brush off the surface of any dirt and dust first before proceeding to the main cleaning process. A part of oxygenated bleach dissolved in three parts of water can be an effective cleaning solution.
Strong chemicals, too much pressure, or hard-bristled brush should not be used in cleaning brick driveway as it may cause significant damage.
- Cobblestone Driveways –Another way to give a driveway a classic look is by using cobblestones. It gives an appeal that is almost similar to the brick counterpart. However, cobblestones are more expensive than bricks.
Dirt and grime can nestle on the pores of the stone; thus, it needs regular maintenance. Cleaning is easy as a simple household cleaner diluted in water can do. You can use a stiff brush to scrub the dirt and finish it with a good rinse using a garden hose. Professional pressure washing can also be done to reach deep-seated dirt.
- Gravel Driveways –Gravel driveways have an increased appeal for people living in country settings. It can be installed easily using a brick or wood as a barrier before pouring the gravel into the area. However, gravel is not as durable compared to the materials mentioned above.
Since it’s a loose substance, you lose a lot over time, requiring you to replace it often. Regular raking is also enough for its maintenance. However, because of the barrier, gravel driveway can be easily flooded.
Similar to gravel driveways that use loose materials are dirt driveways, crushed stone, and basalt driveways.
Cleaning Concrete Driveway
Are you looking for a professional, experienced, and reliable company to help you with cleaning concrete driveway Rockford IL? Look no further; contact RPW ProWash today. Call us now at (779) 348-3135 or get in touch with us online to request a free, no-obligation estimate.
Cleaning Concrete Driveway